How to cope with anaphylactic shock in dentistry?

A shock is a special process that can even threat life. It occurs because of a strong reaction of the body. There are several types of shock: traumatic, hemorrhagic, toxic and anaphylactic.

Anaphylactic shock is a most common thing in dentistry. How to save the life of the patient and to give first aid?

Anaphylaxis is caused by allergens. The main symptoms of anaphylactic shock are skin rash urticaria, chest tightness, itching, shortness of breath, rapid pulse, low blood pressure. If your patient has at least 3 symptoms, it is very important to provide him first aid as soon as possible. What to do:

  1. 1. It is necessary to stop circulatory disorders
  2. 2. Eliminate respiratory failure
  3. 3. To prevent the release of additional portions of anaphylaxis mediators, as well as to block their interaction with tissue receptors.
  4. 4. If the patient has a critical condition or clinical death, maintain all vital functions before the emergency.

  Some basic guidelines for patients with anaphylactic shock. The first thing to do is to stop injection of allergen. Next, use 1 ml of 0.1% of epinephrine intravenously. If the patient pressure would not stabilize after 15 minutes, repeat this procedure. In addition, corticosteroids are very useful for such cases. You can do both intravenous and intramuscular injections. Use such medications as prednisone, dexamethasone and hydrocortisone. If a patient has signs of asphyxiation you should make an injection of aminophylline 2.4% – 10-20 ml intravenously. Every dentist should know these simple rules to provide first aid to patients with anaphylactic shock.